Monday, January 5, 2009

Pro-Penang?

Has been 1 year plus since I last travelled to KL to meet friends. Last year's 2 trips were strictly work and others with family.


I used to have this yearly of six-monthly visits to KL last time, after my matriculations. Having some close friends studying in universities in KL area... I'd love to make my self-adventure down to kl, venture all the posssible LRTs or Komuters to meet as much friends as I could. At the same time, it was a treat for me-self for jalan-jalan after struggling with exams or run away from loads of assignments.


After we graduated, some were still studying, some still looking for jobs. Even some friends who studied in Penang, came down to KL to look for jobs etc. Back then, the trips were very much anticipated as well. Jumping from one friend's house to another was fun. Sharing their career building moments were memorable.


At times, some reunions happen only when I came down from Penang. Although quite a number of them work in KL, they don't usually get the luxury of setting a right time to meet. So, when I did go down to visit, they knew they had to arrange the luxury somehow. Ye lah.. I dah datang jauh- jauh.


Then...
after a few years.... I start to be very attached with my "Penang-life" - work, studies and photography... and I realise many of my friends over there are getting busier with life as well. Some already moving to another phase (marriage)... i'm saying it as another phase coz it's a phase I'm not in, yet :P~ haha... So, my so called self-adventures down to KL has lessened. I'd love to do more real adventure thingy now... like hiking and camping yaa... (*ok, parlimail?)


Hahaa.. and yaaa.. the never-ending debates between KL-Lovers and Penang-Lovers. Okie, definitely I'm on Penang-Lovers side... haahhaa... yoshh!

There were a few KL-Penang comparisons I had. For Career... and for Studies. No matter how much my KL-lovers friends tried to convince me I should try "surviving" KL, I just couldn't bring myself to "migrate" over there. To say I am not adventurous or dare not take challenge... is up to people to make judgements. Hehe, I have my own definitions for this... and have my own reasons for the choices I make :-)
would/might say:


KL-freaks

  1. We have everything here, and they are easily accessible.
  2. Entertainment and Food is plenty
  3. People are more colorful, different styles, different ways of representing themselves.
  4. Convenient - highways help you to move easily... but Toll... err...
  5. LRT and public transportation = tip-top
  6. Shopping heaven
  7. To test your durability and sense of survival in the city-jungle. Face the real world.

Penang-freaks
would/might say:
  1. We don't have as much as KL, but we have enough
  2. U still enjoy city-life but it's not as hectic as KL. Entertainment oso got. For food.. fancy restaurants oso got.. hawkers stalls oso got... sedap some more...
  3. People are lil bit more friendly than those in KL
  4. Ok... penang bridge always jam, but at least not toll everywhere we go
  5. Try taking Komuter-LRT on working hours... can die. Try driving in Penang for at least 3 months, you will become best drivers in Malaysia ;-)
  6. We also have many shopping outlets, although KL has wider options, at least the parking tickets won't kill us after shopping... waggagagagaaa....
  7. anywhere oso can learn the survival skills... and anywhere oso real world maa ;-P

They sure don't apply to everyone, people have different reasons to settle down in different places. Haha, but when ever I tangled in KL vs Penang debate... I can be sooo one-sided and biased... hikhikhik.....wooopsie...


I do get remarks like "you are sooo penang" or "dat's so penangite". Do we have some kind of trademark, hmmm... I wonder. I donno what that is, but one thing i realise... most penangites a bit cincai one... kihkihkih... and we do say/hear the word cincai a lot.


Ok... actually
I just came back from a short trip in KL... (meeting friends). After not taking the bus for quite some time... this is what i discovered or re-discovered:
  1. Some people at the bus platform (i.e. bus drivers) making side incomes by trafficking goods. I don't think I would complain if they don't end up making the passengers wait for 45 minutes at the platform while they possibly make a trip to pick up some goods (informing us pergi isi minyak but had to wait macam they went to gali minyak definitely made us make speculations) + there were small pick-up trucks collecting goods from the bus + at the platform where some goods (fresh food) were left unattended earlier.
  2. Ok... now they stop in weird places other than Pudu... grrr.. this is personal bash.. cos i missed the LRT.
  3. The baby cockroaches always make final appearances. it kills me everytime these roaches make their "Boo" at the end of the bus ride, knowing that u have slept with bebeh-roaches, wow... but takpa laa.. kalau tau awal-awal, lagi tak leh duduk.
  4. The ticket from Penang to KL is rm35? warkhhhhhhh.... mahal nyer!
  5. I complain a lot (though not out loud...) :P~

6 comments:

  1. That's the real world, no matter where you are. Penang is nice. KL is also nice. I think both 'freaks' are surviving and that needs you to love your place :P

    And welcome to google mwahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I'm another Penang lover, and if I ever move back and settle down, KL is certainly NOT a place I can survive. Neither can my bebeh... only bebeh roaches can live. LOL So funny la this pose... reminds me of the time I visit my KL friends and like you, I also tak tahan want to come back to BM awal-awal. GO PEnang!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...I'm trying to decide which I am. Since Penang is my home, I naturally love it la kan. ;) But since I study in KL, I've begun to fall in love with the place. Its so alive and everything and everyone is always on the move. I actually like riding on the LRTs during peak hours. Except the komuter la. too slow. and yes, there are so many malls to choose from!! :D tapi...sometimes I wonder if its too much for me. kdg2 bila balik penang tu, rasa cm penang lg best. haih. ntah la. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahha.. tu la... some dah ada preference sendiri... some masih nak decide... but usually, we end up go with the flow... tgk mana rezeki bawa kita, ye tak ... hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe.. i plak terbalik ngan sakinah.. i'm from kl.. xde rase pape pn dok kl.. cam ok la kot.. n pernah dtg penang mase std 4 camtu n ble dpt study kt penang rase cam menyampah gle je.. but now cam stuck plak kt penang.. even pandai jln kt penang than kt kl.. hoho.. ble balik kl rase cam apsal la crowded sgt.. pening.. n most probably get married n settle down kt penang.. n stay here until i'm old n eventually mati.. wohooo..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fuiyo kak aca...u dah convert to penang la ek? hehe. ye laa...dah ur You-Know-Who keje situ kan. I'm still searching for my Mr. Right. Tapi dah book photographer and makeup artist dh for my wedding. ahaha. :p Like kak azleena said...go with the flow saja. see where we end up. ;)

    ReplyDelete