Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Which level of marketing it is?


Before I go on, I would like to clarify that this post it not meant to condemn anyone, any policies or any choices made by any individuals. They are merely my own opinions influenced by some series of requests I have had recently.

I don’t believe I’ll make a good salesgirl. Some people think I am, they say I know how to market things… really? How come I didn’t know that?

There was once, I was in an interview, interviewed by some 7-8 academicians. I tried answering all questions, tried to reason everything. I didn’t realize that I was actually “selling” myself to them until one of them said
“have u been a salesgirl before?”
“Uhh…No, never” giving the 'why' look.
“You know… you can be a good salesgirl” he sounded cynical… paused… giving everyone time to get curious, before continuing “but we are not businessmen”
silence. all other interviewers looked at me, waiting for my reaction/response.
“In that case, I can sell knowledge”. Everyone laughed, I knew I made my sales that day. Even an academician have impression that I'd be a good salesperson?

So, maybe, in certain situation, I can “sell” things. But I prefer not to sell/market things I don’t believe in.

I hope I don’t eat back my words in future, but as for now, I am not comfortable being approached by Multi Level Marketing, or also known as MLM.

I do respect people having their own choices of building their career or soft skills. But it affects me if I am pushed. Personally, I don’t find a liking to the business strategy so how can I sell or market things I don’t believe in? I know people who do it for different reasons:
  1. another career option
  2. Improve their budget
  3. Meet people and socialize
  4. Join for the sake of friends/family who keep inviting/ pressing

Number 4 is bad news, coz they’ll end up losing their money in the end. I know I’d be number 4 if I'm not able to say “I’m sorry, I won’t have time for this”.

Few years back, I was asked to join this particular MLM, known to be one of the popular ones in the country. I was hesitant and wasn’t interested. The person who approached me invited me to meet some people from their network, in case I’d picked up interest from there. Not wanting to disappoint the person, I went to lepak with them for like 3 times, just to observe, listen and learn about the business environment. From my observation of the network of people I met, in general:

  1. Most of them are money and profit oriented
  2. Some even skipped classes and extended studies to “build the career”
  3. It’s all about downline and not the product
  4. Some shared experience with me, and talk highly about materialism
  5. Some seemed like they are trying too hard to be like some others / impress

In conclusion, I didn’t join :P

when I say most and some, it means Not All of them lah ;-) so, chill yaa :-)


I know some have made it big and become successful because of such scheme. I respect those people for their determination and hard work. Not all push people around. Some give us the options and leave us alone when we politely reject. All the same, there are also cases of failure, where money are lost and friendships are tarnished.


I don’t mind listening to schemes but I mind if people push me to join, after I have listened.


How to say No (or keep saying No)… In a nice way? Since some who approached are friends/relatives? :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment