Saturday, March 28, 2009

Dark Ages...


Earth Hour.




Errr.. Off Lights only or all power supply eh? When I first heard about it, first thing that came to my mind "How about the computer servers?" Then I was concerned about the road lights.. then the security alarms... list goes on... I guess not everything can be turned off even for an hour, unless we really have a power tripp.

Worry not... I am in full support for this campaign. (Questions pop out coz I happen to have a habit of over analysing things... hehe...)

During the earth hour (8.30pm-9.30pm), I turned off everything- lights, fans, tv, fish tank oxygen and even the fridge. Errr.. so what do I do for one hour? Hmm... tick... tock.... tick.. tock... Let's check out the neighbourhood...

only one neighbour's house and ours were in complete darkness. Few houses away, I think there were 2-3 more houses in dark... Erm... were they supporting earth hour or they just happen to be out of home at that time?? Hmmm... wonder... Btw... all other houses were terang-benderang, with even some houses with porch lights on. Well... it's up to individuals i guess. Fortunately, the campaign call had been answered and supported by some of my friends, Nurul being the most semangat, hehe.. Kak Ilah, Zue, Jane, Joni, Marli, to name a few.


cameras don't use electricity... therefore mine entertained me for at least 30 minutes... Hehe.. I had 2 candles lit, they were the main victims of my experiment, alongside other items around the source of light.


I was testing my remote flash setting... Klik Klik Klik... by the time a nail clipper became my model, I knew I had enough. Last item... the grandpa clock on the wall... showing the time - 9.09 pm

20 minutes to go... lets Visit the World before electricity... hoho... to the kitchen and get some chores done, with the help of the second candle.
I turned on the power (the fish tank n fridge 9.30 pm sharp), the rest after 10 minutes.

I heard some places organised some "celebrations" for this earth hour campaign. I hope nothing fancy though because it will defeat the purpose of saving resources. How about lighting a candle? Opppss :P~

Got this from the Net:
Are the emissions from these candles worse for the climate than simply leaving the lights on? After all, candles emit carbon dioxide too.
The answer: It depends on what kind of candles you use, how many of them you burn, and where you get your electricity from.
and This:
Hank the Eco-Geek tells us that it takes about 40 candles to produce the same amount of light as a 40 Watt light bulb and puts out a lot more CO2, so lighting candles during Earth Hour isn't exactly doing much for our greenhouse gas emissions. But he also points out that we don't tend to light 40 candles and make do with a lot less candlepower, although I am now a bit embarrassed by the picture of our dinner table last year. While the source for his information says burning candles is carbon-negative, Hank concludes that it is roughly carbon-neutral if you don't burn too many.


2 candles (1 lit a bit later) compared to the total power turned off in my house... I think it can balance out to be carbon-neutral... Hehehe...

Last but not least... whether or not we turned off the lights for an hour during this campaign, we should practise saving resources.

5 comments:

  1. i came home a bit late. i need to extend my lights off coz i need to use the toilet. but my Bro n SIL already lights off downstairs. i came down with my darling and found them having candle light dinner. we said our bye bye and off we go.

    i do love mother earth very very much and thanks to my brother for supporting it.

    =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha... itu cerita penuhnya... waaa... cutenya abang u ngan kak muz... candlelite dinner ngan baby-on the way :D patutnya kan.. kena suh aca drive malam tu tanpa buka lampu... ehehe.. kalo kena tahan polis, jawab earth hour... kehkehkeh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard people having kenduri kahwin in hotel also lit up candles during the Earth Hour. To me, it's romantic :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. coincidentally i had dinner at usm, 8.30 pm all my lights off including my pc except for my freezer ofcoz. and back to home exactly 12.00am..hahah...lights of for 3 hours and 30 minutes..heheh.....with almost 4000 cities in this entire world..and more than 1 billion joining together to support earth hour...proud to be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane... yaa, dat sounds romantic... So when is next earth hour, same date next year izzit, can plan weddings from now on :P tsk tsk tsk

    Joni... pergh, cayalah... andalah pemenang pemegang rekod earth hour paling lama antara semua kawan-kawan kita. Anyone wanna break the record? ;-P

    ReplyDelete