Are you mixed blood?
Surprisingly, I still get that question. Why? Because I have small and pointed eyes a.k.a. Sepet! Mixed blood? Yes, I am! I’m mixed of O and B. My dad is an O blood type; whereas my mom is a B blood type :-) I am mixed.
Normally, people won’t take that as an answer… why oh why?
So what am I? Indian? Malay? Chinese? Bidayuh? Minah Salleh? Latina? When I was young, I get nicknamed ‘Japanese kid’. Mom said, I got a lot pinches on my cheek because I was chubby and fair. Grrrrr….
Surprisingly, I still get that question. Why? Because I have small and pointed eyes a.k.a. Sepet! Mixed blood? Yes, I am! I’m mixed of O and B. My dad is an O blood type; whereas my mom is a B blood type :-) I am mixed.
Normally, people won’t take that as an answer… why oh why?
So what am I? Indian? Malay? Chinese? Bidayuh? Minah Salleh? Latina? When I was young, I get nicknamed ‘Japanese kid’. Mom said, I got a lot pinches on my cheek because I was chubby and fair. Grrrrr….
I still remember, it was distressing… people kept saying I was fairer than my sisters. I didn’t like to be differentiated from them. I looked into the mirror and kept wondering, why was I fairer than my sisters? I kept praying I’d become darker. (~wish granted, haha) Why were my eyes so small? I wanted big round eyes (~i love my sepet eyes now). I wanted to look like my elder sister and have my younger sis’ hair (~ tamak kan aku?), so that we looked like a team. Oh gosh… Lucky me, the dilemma ended when I began to accept myself just the way I am at quite an early age.
When people get curious about my ethnicity; it’s fun to share because I am somehow promoting mixed heritage. But sometimes, it does feel weird, asked in a wrong way, they’d make you feel as though as “what” you are, is more important than “who” you are.
So if you are wondering What am I? I have one simple answer for you:
I,
I am a Malaysian.
Yes, I wanted to be darker when I was younger, and maybe I’d prefer to date a guy darker than me, I dunno about that yet… Haha :P But… I have no issues about people with dark or fair skin, or whatever their preferences towards this. For me, my concern about my skin is not the color but the complexion which I’m having some problem with. *acne*acne*kill*kill* (bimbo mode :P)
I don’t mind if some people try very hard to make themselves look fairer and use tones of whitening products, simply because it’s their choice to make (and tanning products to get tanned :P). And it’s not an issue too when someone prefers to look for life partner from certain race or color because this too, is related to preferences, familiarity and taste. Well, some ppl just fall in love regardless; and everything becomes fuzzy, hihi.
Moving to a wider scope…
What makes it hard to accept is… when people use skin color to differentiate people, to judge, or look down on people and so on.
It’s hard to change society and people, but we can change ourselves and our mindset. Do have faith and believe that even a small entity can make changes for a better tomorrow *I sound preachy lah pulak!* Mwahahaha… ok.. back to serious mode!
Before we start accusing people for being oppressive… ask ourselves, how nice are we? How good are we, in not being judgmental and prejudice towards people based on color, race, religion, economical status, standards etc. Just stop pointing fingers only to overcome your own frustrations.
If you are a Malaysian, be proud to be one and to declare as one (no matter which part of the globe you are in). Instead of bashing here and there, you can start spreading some love by living in the society and not separating them even more. Hate is not going to get us anywhere…
Black or white, Yellow or brown… we are all the same = we cannot live or function without a heart and a brain ;-)
Akhir Kata...
"Tepuk dada tanya selera."
(psst.. selera saya adalah nasi kandar kari banjir... hohohohoho)
When people get curious about my ethnicity; it’s fun to share because I am somehow promoting mixed heritage. But sometimes, it does feel weird, asked in a wrong way, they’d make you feel as though as “what” you are, is more important than “who” you are.
So if you are wondering What am I? I have one simple answer for you:
I,
I am a Malaysian.
Yes, I wanted to be darker when I was younger, and maybe I’d prefer to date a guy darker than me, I dunno about that yet… Haha :P But… I have no issues about people with dark or fair skin, or whatever their preferences towards this. For me, my concern about my skin is not the color but the complexion which I’m having some problem with. *acne*acne*kill*kill* (bimbo mode :P)
I don’t mind if some people try very hard to make themselves look fairer and use tones of whitening products, simply because it’s their choice to make (and tanning products to get tanned :P). And it’s not an issue too when someone prefers to look for life partner from certain race or color because this too, is related to preferences, familiarity and taste. Well, some ppl just fall in love regardless; and everything becomes fuzzy, hihi.
Moving to a wider scope…
What makes it hard to accept is… when people use skin color to differentiate people, to judge, or look down on people and so on.
It’s hard to change society and people, but we can change ourselves and our mindset. Do have faith and believe that even a small entity can make changes for a better tomorrow *I sound preachy lah pulak!* Mwahahaha… ok.. back to serious mode!
Before we start accusing people for being oppressive… ask ourselves, how nice are we? How good are we, in not being judgmental and prejudice towards people based on color, race, religion, economical status, standards etc. Just stop pointing fingers only to overcome your own frustrations.
If you are a Malaysian, be proud to be one and to declare as one (no matter which part of the globe you are in). Instead of bashing here and there, you can start spreading some love by living in the society and not separating them even more. Hate is not going to get us anywhere…
Black or white, Yellow or brown… we are all the same = we cannot live or function without a heart and a brain ;-)
Akhir Kata...
"Tepuk dada tanya selera."
(psst.. selera saya adalah nasi kandar kari banjir... hohohohoho)
I like this post very much!!! Selera saya adalah banana leaf rice... hohohohoho :p
ReplyDeleteI'm also very proud to declare that I'm Malaysian here, hehe.
ReplyDeletesan
Wow good one ...
ReplyDeleteBtw, didn't notice you have acne problem. I don't think your date would anyway :)
I am proud to be a Malaysian!!!
Jane... this sunday, we banana leaf with our special attire kay ;-)
ReplyDeleteSan... hahaha.. i remember your 'I am malaysian' story in Milan... proud proud...
Jessie.. u bein so kind, :* thanks... ehehhe.. but does make sense :P someone who sees only skin deep can't see more than those who go beyond that. Haha...
oh Az, so touched with the comment to Jessie tu..someone who sees only skin deep can't see more than those who go beyond that.
ReplyDeletei hv very low self-esteem prob... i need mix wt you more. :p